Thursday, April 8, 2010

April Showers - Creating Your Own Umbrella

Hello everyone! April is here and that makes me think of rain, rain, and more rain! I thought it would be a cute idea to show you how you can create a quick and easy little umbrella for your projects. I had some leftover feather pieces from a previous layout and decided to challenge myself to find a new use for it.

First you will need to cut out an umbrella shape from a scrap piece of paper. Apply some glue and then put down your first layer of feathers. Add another layer of glue and add more feathers on top. Repeat the process until you no longer see the umbrella template.

After the glue dries, your umbrella should look similar to the one in step 3. We don't want all the excess feathers peeking out so go ahead and cut around your umbrella template to reveal your umbrella. Now it's time for the fun part, embellishing your umbrella! In step 5, you can see I added a ribbon and button. You can add whatever embellishment your woul like. A flower would be a cute touch as well.


The umbrella looked liked it needed a little something extra on the bottom so I used one of my border punches and punched out a scalloped piece from my scrap paper. Then I added some lime and blue mist for added color. After the mist dried, I attached the scalloped piece to the bottom of my umbrella and added a bit of doodling. That's it! You now have a cute fuzzy one of a kind embellishment for your projects. Here is the finished umbrella that I used on a layout...

Supplies: Paper, Button: GCD Studios, Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper, Pearls: BasicGrey, Letters: American Crafts, Tape: Making Memories, Punch: Martha Stewart, EK Success, Font: Typenoksidi, Floss: DMC.


That's all I have for today. Have fun creating!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. How cute is this?!!! LOVE it in every way possible!!! Great technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is darling Diana! LOVE your creative use of the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, thanks for tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's super cute and creative! And congrats on returning to ScrapStreet!

    ReplyDelete